Many people will take care of commitments to others and neglect their own (not saying that you should follow through with your commitments). We see it all the time and the person we are looking at just might be looking back at us in the mirror. The mom who uses all her energy to care for her children and husband but has nothing left for herself. The man working crazy hours when he’d rather be home bonding with his children or working on opening his own business. We can kill ourselves to be there for other people and employers; can we put this much effort and commitment to ourselves.
You may have wanted to write a book, take a vacation, go to the spa, start a business but time and lack of energy has talked you out of it.
When we want or need something, we have to take full responsibility of making it happen, no one else will.
Yesterday after church I decided I to fast. I wasn’t going to watch TV,eat, listen to music, use the telephone or Internet. I needed some time to exist without noise, without any outside influence, spend some time with God. By the end of the night I turned on the TV and ate some chicken salad and crackers. I completely broke my commitment to myself and more importantly to God. Well the cracker I was eating broke off one of my teeth. My tooth scratched my tongue all night and I can’t consume solid food for at least 30 hours, maybe longer. (I have a dentist appointment tomorrow) I’m sure this would have eventually happened, (Not saying this was a punishment or anything) but it certainly sucks that it happened now, like this. I’m going to take it as a lesson learned. I constantly make commitments to myself and God but I rarely keep them. From now on, I will follow through on these commitments the same way I would for a job or a friend.
When you compromise on your own commitments and goals, you’re compromising yourself.
- Reality Vs. Reasoning (aprildishon.wordpress.com)
- Light and Creamy Low Fat Chicken Salad (lowfat.answers.com)
- Blackberry-pecan chicken salad (boxingdayblog.wordpress.com)
- Chopped Chicken Salad with Lemon-Tarragon Dressing (williams-sonoma.com)
- How to have a Devotion/Quiet Time (michellw3lls.wordpress.com)
- 7 Simple Ways To Make Time For Yourself (massageenvy.com)
- Spending time with God… (thosewomen.wordpress.com)
- Commitment to Write (clarkewrite.com)
- Three Levels of Fasting – Imam Muwaffaq-ud-Deen Ibn Qudamaah Al-Maqdisee (salaf-us-saalih.com)
- Day 2 / 3: I break the Fast. Sort of (acolorfulpast.wordpress.com)